Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Criteria
- It is desirable that HKMAAL Accredited Mediators on both the General and Family Panels, be considered to be of high quality and be seen as having met established standards of training. It is also desirable that these standards be upheld even after accreditation, and in this regard a CPD Programme for HKMAAL Accredited Mediators is considered to be an important element.
- The requirements of the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme are intended to be realistic and are the minimum requirements which HKMAAL Accredited Mediators are expected to meet. HKMAAL Accredited Mediators are encouraged to exceed the minimum requirements whenever possible.
- It is noted that HKMAAL Mediator Accreditation is for a 3-year period and renewal of such accreditation is subject to, among other things, that the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator seeking renewal of his/her accreditation has undertaken a total of at least 15 hours of CPD during the previous 3 years. The HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme is based on this 3-year review cycle.
- For all accredited mediators of Founder Members who have been grandparented to the HKMAAL Panel, the first 3-year CPD cycle will be from 1 April 2014 to 30 June 2017 and thereafter starting from 1 July.
- For mediators accredited by HKMAAL after 15 September 2013, all accreditation granted:
a. before 1 July, the CPD cycle will commence on 1 July of the same year and be due on 30 June three years after the year of accreditation;
b. on or after 1 July, the CPD cycle will commence on 1 July of the following year and be due on 30 June four years after the year of accreditation.
- It is expected that some HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme activities will also contribute to the CPD requirements of other professional bodies (e.g. The Law Society of Hong Kong). Similarly, activities sponsored by organisations such as the Hong Kong Mediation Council and the Hong Kong Mediation Centre may contribute toward the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements.
- Each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator is required to keep their CPD training record in a CPD Training Record Form.
The CPD Training Record Form is for the following purposes:
- to provide a detailed record of compliance with the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements;
- to provide each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator with a personal development record;
- to be submitted to the HKMAAL Mediation Accreditation Committee for review for purposes of the renewal of accreditation.
Each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator shall be responsible for the accurate maintenance of his/her CPD Training Record Form and will be required to submit his/her CPD Training Record Form at the time he/she seeks renewal of his/her accreditation. There will be no fee charged for the review of the CPD Training Record Form, the cost of such review being included in the annual panel maintenance fee paid by each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator. Accurate recording and maintenance of the CPD Training Record Form in order to comply with the requirements of the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme is very much dependent upon the integrity of each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator. The HKMAAL Mediation Accreditation Committee will support and advise HKMAAL Accredited Mediators on matters relating to compliance with the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme, and will conscientiously review each CPD Training Record Form submitted to it by a HKMAAL Accredited Mediator in connection with the renewal of his/her accreditation.
Each HKMAAL Accredited Mediator must include the dates, hours, topics, trainer/presenter/speaker, and other relevant details of all events and activities which will count toward compliance with the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements.
CPD Training Record Forms will be reviewed or checked at random. When the CPD Training Record Forms are properly due for submission and review, such review will be carried out by the HKMAAL Secretariat. No later than 2 months after a CPD Training Record Form has been duly submitted by a HKMAAL Accredited Mediator to the HKMAAL Council, the CPD Training Record Form will be returned to the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator in question with an indication that either:
- the CPD Training Record Form has been duly and properly maintained and that the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements have been met for the purposes of the renewal of accreditation; or
- the CPD Training Record Form has not been duly and properly maintained or, if duly and properly maintained, the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements for the purposes of the renewal of accreditation have not been met.
In the event that accreditation of a HKMAAL Accredited Mediator is duly renewed, the CPD Training Record Form will be returned to the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator in question.
In the event that accreditation of a HKMAAL Accredited Mediator is not duly renewed as a result of the situation referred to in b) above, the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator in question will be given clear comments and advice on what action is necessary to rectify the situation.
- The purpose of the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme is to enhance the skills and knowledge of HKMAAL Accredited Mediators.
Suggested areas for further study and/or training, include the following:
- Communication skills
- Other mediation training (Family, Community, Environment, Cross-culture)
- Legal awareness
- Advanced mediation skills
- Other dispute resolution processes
- Conflict management/avoidance
This list is by no means exhaustive.
Suggested areas for further study specifically for HKMAAL Accredited Family Mediators include the following:
- Domestic violence
- Child Abuse
- Child-care & child development
- Psychological process of separation and divorce
- Appropriate arrangements for custody, care, control and access
- Local policy in practices e.g. Housing, Insurance, Taxation & C.S.S.A.
- Family law
- Special knowledge in solving financial disputes.
This list is by no means exhaustive.
Activities which will qualify as meeting the HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme requirements, include:
- participation in working or development groups on ADR;
- writing and publishing relevant articles for newsletters or other publications;
- developing and/or delivering ADR training;
- attendance at HKMAAL, forums, workshops, talks and conferences;
- arranging/leading/participating in training and similar events, including coaching, supervision and simulation exercises.
- The HKMAAL Accredited Mediator CPD Programme Policy Document may be revised from time to time to reflect developments in the field of ADR, changes in HKMAAL mediator accreditation requirements and refocusing on what constitutes good practice.
Download CPD Training Record Form here.
source : http://www.hkmaal.org.hk