Mediation is regarded as one of the most effective methods for resolving disputes between parties. It is commonplace for disputes and complaints to arise from students and parents, and mediation not only can resolve conflicts from these parties but can also foster better relationships to create a harmonious teaching and learning environment for both students and teachers.
This workshop is designed to benefit superintendents, principals, teachers, school administrators, teacher advocates, board members within academic institutes, teacher organizations, community advocates, resource officers, counsellors, unions and other school personnel.
Our workshop provides teachers with the mediation skills and strategies they need to become successful workplace mediators including but not limited to:
- Teaching participants the methods and skills to resolve conflicts in their workplaces.
- Providing participants with practical mediation skills applicable to daily school settings.
- Making use of the mediation skills to resolve conflicts and to prevent and resolve conflicts from arising in a school environment.
- Providing guidance for participants interested in furthering their understanding of mediation or becoming a professional mediator.
Features of the Workshop
The four-hour workshop is highly interactive. Mediation skills will be taught through a series of demonstrations, games, role-play training and group discussion. Under the guidance of our experienced instructors, participants will be given opportunities to apply and develop their mediation skills through a series of role play exercises and day-to-day scenarios tailored to the needs of your school.
Highlights of the workshop includes:
- What is Mediation?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Mediation.
- The Role and Purpose of Mediators.
- Negotiation Skills and Methods.
- Discussion of the Best and Worst Alternatives to Mediation Skills, Methods, Strategies and Negotiation Agreement.
- The Skill of Listening and Suggesting questions.
- How to make use of mediation skills to resolve conflicts at school.
- How to reduce conflicts between peers, students and teachers, and teachers and parents.
- How to establish a system of Mediation at school.
- How to become an accredited Mediator.
Our workshop will be conducted by an accredited mediator who has extensive experience in teaching mediation skills for various cases and the workshop will be conducted in Cantonese or English.